ARTHRITIS RESOURCE SHEET
Arthritis is a general term that simply means joint inflammation. It’s a common problem for dogs. Arthritis is one of the most common sources of chronic pain treated by veterinarians. Often resulting from elbow or hip dysplasia, this painful joint disease can also be a result of the normal aging process, or due to accident and injury.
Nutritional Supplements: Can all be used safely in any combination because they are not considered a drug, there is no FDA monitoring of active ingredient quality. Therefore we recommend using the products we carry here that have a guaranteed analysis or the more expensive name brands for the first 8 weeks to better help evaluate effectiveness. Start with one and usually add one at a time every 6 weeks to see how effective they are.
- Glucosamine/Chondroitin: Non-prescription Nutritional Supplement
Dosage: 500mg Glucosamine/400mg Chondroitin
25lbs or less - ½ tablet per day
25-50lbs - 1 tablet per day
50-100lbs - 2 tablets per day.
- PhyCox-JS™ (carried here at Northland Veterinary Services) helps to reduce the inflammation and provide joint support. The essential ingredients including glucosamine, turmeric, omega-3 fatty acids, antioxidants, amino acids, minerals and blue-green algae extract form a joint support matrix that act as a proven Cox-2 inhibitor. This produces a similar effect as NSAID treatment without the harmful side-effects of long term NSAID use.
- Duralactin®: Non-prescription Milk Protein Concentrate
Aids in the management of general inflammation and works very early in the inflammatory process.
No known side effects after 20 years of studies
NSAID: (Non-steroidal Anti-inflammatory drugs)
e.g. Aspirin, Rimadyl®, Deramaxx®, Metacam®
YOUR PET SHOULD USE ONLY ONE NSAID TYPE AT ANY TIME.
*Do NOT give Tylenol (acetaminophen) or Ibuprofen to your pet without a doctor's consent. They can be highly toxic!
- Buffered Aspirin: Non-prescription:
Less than 10lbs - 1 baby aspirin (81mg) twice daily
10-25lbs - ½ tablet (325mg) twice daily
25-50lbs - 1 tablet (325mg) twice daily
50-100lbs - 1 ½ tablets (325mg) twice daily
Over 100lbs - 2 tablets (325mg) twice daily
e.g. Bayer, Ascripton
Helps reduce pain and inflammation. Side effects: Upset stomach and blood thinning.
- Rimadyl®, Deramaxx®, Metacam®: Prescription
Rimadyl, Deramaxx and Metacam are non-steroidal, anti-inflammatory drugs. Rimadyl has already helped manage pain and inflammation for hundreds of thousands of dogs with arthritis.
Side Effects: Rare possibility of kidney and liver failure. Annual bloodwork is required with a pet on Rimadyl, Deramaxx or Metacam.
- Prescription Diets:
Science diet j/d. Available in both canned and dry formulas, prescription diet j/d offers the right balance of advanced nutrition to manage dogs with arthritis.